Monday, January 26, 2009

Puppy Class!

Last Thursday, Pilot participated in his first puppy class at West Edmonton Mall! Also there were his siblings, Dash and Gunner. The Flight Litter has had a couple of classes together at Waggin' Tails, but I knew going to the mall would be a whole different experience for him.

I've learnt from experience to be prepared for every situation. When you have a young pup, and you're doing class in public, anything can happen! They can get very excited, they can start barking, or have an accident, or pull wildly on the leash, or develop a fear of some new object or sound etc...

This whole list was running through the back of my mind as we approached Sears in West Ed. Little did I know, I didn't have a thing to worry about! Pilot did very well, and he even tolerated walking with the halti on for the very first time. For the most part he was calm and focused, and even though I could tell he wanted to say hi to his siblings, he responded to "watch me" incredibly well! (I did take advantage of his love for anything edible by filling my pouch with some kind of stinky lamb treatsies.)

By the end of the class, I was extremely proud of him! The last two dogs we raised were a lot different than Pilot, so I'm still getting used to his laidback, easy going personality. Hopefully it carries over into this weeks puppy class!

Of course, we mustn't forget about Eddy, who is being trained as an autism service dog! He came along with Maria to be an excellent example to the puppies.


He just loves to wag his tail!

No comments: